Feral Cat Den
Based in New York, New York
A noir adventure spanning time and space. You play as No Man, a watch peddler caught in a love triangle with other cosmic beings, Miss Mass and Golden Boy. When your affair turns into a bitter confrontation, you will witness a gunshot fired by a jealous god—otherwise known as The Big Bang. Jump into the expanding universe and search for a way to prevent or destroy creation and save your love.
After listening to Liev Schriber read The Distance of the Moon by Italio Calvino on Radiolab, we ran out and picked up Cosmicomics. Falling in love with Calvino's ability to balance the cosmic and the poetic, we began imagining how his storytelling might be combined with interactivity and film noir. In 2014 we built a prototype in Unity to test our ideas. Switching to Unreal in 2016, we went fulltime on developing the game in the summer. In 2018 we successfully funded the project on Kickstarter and teamed up with publisher Fellow Traveller. In 2019 we announced that Genesis Noir will be on the XBOX Game Pass for PC and XBOX.
- A non-traditional point and click adventure: With a focus on tactile puzzles and exploration, you’ll experiment with objects in small slivers of the universe to discover how they can be manipulated to progress your journey. Dial a rotary phone; destroy a civilization; plant a garden; improvise with a musician; create life—all in your search for a way to save Miss Mass.
- Jump into the expanding universe: The Big Bang isn’t just the birth of creation as we know it, it's also a gun blast frozen in time, with the bullet speeding towards the love of your life. You’ll jump into pockets of time, explore moments throughout the lifespan of the universe, and search for a way to change the course of destiny.
- Witness the birth and history of mankind: You’ll observe moments in the history of the universe, from the first microseconds of Life to trillions of years in the future. What will you learn about these new creations, in your search to destroy them?
Genesis Noir — Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "NYS Game Dev Challenge - 1st Place" 2017
- "Strasbourg Indie Game Contest - Official Selection" 2017
- "Day of the Devs - Official Selection" 2017
- "Fantastic Arcade - Official Selection" 2017
- "UCLA Game Art Festival - Official Selection" 2017
- "Technical.ly Brooklyn Indie Game of the Year - Official Nomination" 2017
- "Unreal Dev Grant Recipient" 2018
- "The Mix Dev Showcase - Official Selection" 2018
- "Unreal E3 Awards - Outstanding Original Game - Nomination" 2019
- "Internet Festival - Official Selection" 2019
- "Gamescom - Indie Award - Nomination" 2019
- "Bit Bash - Official Selection" 2019
- "London Games Festival - International Innovation" 2021
- "These are precisely the kind of characters I wish … games were about more often."
- Adam Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun
- ". With its beautiful and unique style, cosmic premise, and generative gameplay, we at Motionographer are very excited to find out more about this game."
- , Motionographer
- "Genesis Noir is set up to be an expressive work of art that could lend itself very well to the video game format."
- , Gamers Almanac
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Big Bang: Music from the Universe of Genesis Noir
Cosmic! Tap your foot to moody noir atmospheres at your local all-hours diner, freak out with hip cats in a bustling metropolis, or float through the infinite cosmos, transcendently guided by spiritual jazz. Dive into the depths of the universe of Genesis Noir with Big Bang: a collection of in-game soundtrack material that has been rearranged, augmented, added-to, enhanced and crafted into a well-rounded album listening experience by the game’s composers Skillbard. Expect new vocals, new sax solos and other surprises you’ll only hear on Big Bang! The soundtrack and all other DLC will also be available in a The Cosmic Collection bundle, upon launch! store.steampowered.com.
Genesis Noir: An Act of Creation
Learn more about the development of Genesis Noir with the game’s very own digital art book, An Act of Creation. An Act of Creation is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of this artful noir adventure! Its pages are filled with concept art, storyboards, sheet music, production screenshots, artist's insights, reflections from the creators, and so much more! Uncover the artistic process behind Genesis Noir. See everything from the smallest of designs to the sprawling concepts for this cosmic adventure. store.steampowered.com.
Genesis Noir: Moiré Noir
An interactive Moiré Noir digital comic by Evan Anthony and Jay Quercia and learn more about No Man's history leading up to the events of Genesis Noir. Before No Man was searching for a way to save his love from a cosmic gunshot, he had his own story worth telling. store.steampowered.com.
About Feral Cat Den
Feral Cat Den is a small team of artists who dream of nesting in a derelict barn. For now we have a studio in Brooklyn where we make games, animations, web things, VJ things, gin, and many other side projects. Our mission is to fuse animation + interactivity and create visually rich and tactile games.
More information on Feral Cat Den, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Genesis Noir Credits
Creative Lead, Feral Cat Den
Technical Lead, Feral Cat Den